Having covered the technology scene for over a decade, I’ve been somewhat desensitised with the load of press and news releases, financial reports and such. So when a company gets up and does something more visual to deliver its financial report, I sit and watch. Maxis is the first telco in Malaysia, and possibly one of the first in the country to present its financial report in a form of a video news release. Catch the video after the jump.
Maxis’ charismatic CEO, Morten Lundal, takes you through the green telco’s impressive 12-month performance. Some key highlights:
- Service revenue grew 3.8% to MYR8,539 million, up from MYR8,229 million Y-o-Y. This is driven by solid prepaid and improved core postpaid performance.
- Prepaid revenue grew 6.2% Y-o-Y to MYR4,184 million from MYR3,940 million, attributed to rising data usage and bigger share in the migrant segment.
- Strong adoption of the MaxisONE plan contributed core postpaid revenue growth – 2.7% up to MYR3,657 million from MYR3,560 million. MaxisONE now has 623,000 subscribers, delivering stable ARPU and countering the effects of decline in voice and SMS.
- Earnings Before Interest, Tax, Depreciation and Amortisation (EBITDA) improved 4.1% to MYR4,425 million from MYR4,251 million, excluding unrealized forex impact.
- Profit After Tax (PAT) hit MYR1,960 million, up from MYR1,943. This is after adjusting for accelerated depreciation due to network modernization as well as unrealized forex losses and reversal of contract obligation.
In its continued efforts to improve and modernize its network, it spent MYR1.3 billion in 2015. Maxis claims it is the leader in 4G LTE, covering 71% of the population. 4G LTE users are consuming on average of 2.5GB of data per month.
2015 saw the introduction of Zerolution, the industry’s first smartphone ownership program. The yearly upgrade program has been widely accepted and continues to gain in popularity and sales.
Catch the video below, and tell me what you think of this new method of news delivery.
Show Comments (0)