Contrary to previous restrictions, motorcycles and express buses are now allowed to travel interstate, says the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM) in a live stream on Thursday. Interstate travel is strictly for those who have been stranded in their hometowns before the Movement Control Order (MCO) was enforced on 18 March 2020.
PDRM explained that bus operators must strictly adhere to standard operating procedures (SOP). For instance, a bus with a 40-person capacity must not carry more than 20 passengers, to ensure social distancing.
The police reminded the people who plan to travel that they must download the latest version of the Gerak Malaysia app (version 2.5) to request for an interstate travel permit. Users are advised to generate a QR code via the app on the day of travel. This QR code is valid for one day only.
For those without access to a mobile phone or the Gerak Malaysia app can submit a physical form at the nearest police station. They are advised to make a prior appointment to avoid overcrowding at the police station.
Interstate travel dates are as announced previously:
- 7 May – From Kuala Lumpur
- 8 May – From Perak, Johor and Kelantan
- 9 May – From Perlis, Kedah, Pulau Pinang, Melaka and Pahang
- 10 May – From Selangor, Negeri Sembilan and Terengganu
Please be reminded that during the MCO, there will be no food facilities at rest and recreation areas (R&R) along the highways. Prayers rooms will also be closed and any prayer activity or gatherings are not allowed at R&R areas including open spaces and parking lots.
However, public toilet facilities will continue to operate. Road users are allowed to rest at parking areas within their own vehicles and are allowed to leave the vehicle only to use the toilets. Also, petrol stations will only be operating between 6AM to midnight along the highways.
PDRM reiterates that balik kampung during Ramadhan and Hari Raya is strictly prohibited.
Download Gerak Malaysia
Header image: IMDB
- Garmin Venu Sq: The Venu goes square
- Honda Civic and BR-V now in Platinum White Pearl
- BPN 2.0: Everything you need to know
- Samsung releases cheaper, more colourful Galaxy S20 for fans
- #buyforimpact: MaGIC & Lazada partner to promote socially-conscious buying