Bugs, Pros, Cons & Verdict
There were a few bugs that I ran into so I’ll just list them down in point form:
- This is probably the most annoying for me. On default, the device wasn’t able to detect my SD card and when I formatted it, it corrupted my SD card. Apparently the fix is to format it in FAT32 format.
- Waze and Google Maps crashed and froze between 5 to 20 minutes of usage.
- There were a few times when I turned on or off Bluetooth and it showed that the Bluetooth module had crashed.
- Battery life is pretty bad but the fix is to install the Jojoc battery tweak kernel included in the first page of the Beta ROM post.
- Initially when I received calls, the person on the other side either couldn’t hear me or said I sounded like I was drowning. One way to do this is to turn off Google Voice Assistant (Bummer!)
- Not a bug but more of an annoyance. There’s still ZTE apps included such as a Browser, Gallery and Calendar app.
- Another minor annoyance is that from now on, when you reboot your phone, you’ll be greeted with a security warning. Hopefully this will eventually be remedied via a workaround.
- Clean and vanilla Android UI
- Snappy and rarely lags
- Camera works with no problems
- Stereo speakers work with no problems
- Ambient display feature puts the AMOLED display to good use
- Support for camera.api2, which means HDR+
- Great support from community
- Unofficial-Official Update / No OTA
- Running into bugs on and off
- Unsure when it will be final
- MicroSD needs to be reformatted to FAT32
It’s great to see that the ZTE Axon 7 still receiving so much love from the developer community and while the Beta is quite stable as it is, there are still some kinks that need to be ironed out before I would say it’s truly safe to be used on a daily basis.
However, if your Axon 7 is either your secondary device or sitting around gathering dust, I’d highly suggest giving the Beta ROM or other custom ROMs a shot as it definitely breathes new life into your phone.
Do you have an Axon 7? Tried the Oreo Beta yet? Tell me what you think.
Show Comments (4)