Huawei P30

Trump blacklist: Huawei to lose access to Android and Google

Involve ad

As reported by Reuters, Alphabet Inc’s Google has suspended business with Huawei that requires the transfer of hardware, software and technical services except those publicly available via open source licensing. This is a massive blow to the Chinese technology giant, as the Trump administration seeks to blacklist the company around the world.

What does this mean for Huawei? The tech giant will immediately lose access to updates to Android, and future version of Huawei smartphones that run Android will also lose access to popular services like the Google Play Store, Gmail and YouTube. This includes the recent P30, P30 Pro, Mate 20 Pro and other devices.

A Google spokesperson said that the company is “complying with the order and reviewing the implications.” The US Commerce Department on Wednesday, placed Huawei and around 68 affiliates on a trade blacklist, following an executive order signed by US President Trump. Aside from no Android or access to Google services, the company is forbidden to buy parts and components from US companies without US government approval.

Asus 336x280 ad

However, the spokesperson added that users of Google services, Google Play and security protections from Google Play Protect will continue to function on existing Huawei devices.

Huawei will only be able to use the public version of Android (AOSP) and will not get access to proprietary apps and services from Google.

READ ALSO  Samsung Galaxy A30 and A50 now in Malaysia

The company’s HiSilicon chip division has stated that it has “long been ready” for any ban, and Huawei has previously said that it has been preparing for six years or more for any ban of Android.

Involve ad

Regardless, it is still a sticky situation and a massive blow to the company, which has catapulted to the number two biggest smartphone makers in the world in a short time.

Things will be muddy for Honor as well, Huawei’s sub-brand, as it is prepares for the global launch of the flagship Honor 20 on Tuesday, 21 May in London.

Source: Reuters VIA Android Authority

  • Show Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

  • name *

  • email *

  • website *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.