What’SUP? On the 15th of March 2012, Sony Mobile Communications launched its new line of smartphones dubbed “Xperia NXT” – Xperia S, Xperia U and Xperia P (hence the name of the event launch, What’SUP). The launch also made a surprise preview of the Xperia sola, which was just announced two days before.
[ad#Google Adsense 336×280]
As of 16th March 2012, only the Xperia S will be available via all major operators (Maxis, DiGi, Celcom and UMobile) and will be in stores nationwide starting 21st March 2012. Operators will be offering packages for the Xperia S to consumers, marking the first time Sony is collaborating with all four operators.
Members of the media were given a chance to take home two units prior to the nationwide launch and unfortunately I didn’t get one. Better luck next time.
So let’s get down to the specs. Based on the touch and feel session, the Xperia S feels extremely light, fits perfectly in my hands and is riddled with features.
If you fancy taking a lot of pictures and never want to miss a shot, Sony’s flagship model the Xperia S is equipped with a 12MP camera and is able to take shots within 1.5 seconds from standby mode (impressive!), for recording purposes a 720p front camera and 1080p back camera and for playback on a 4.3-inch HD screen with the fabled Mobile BRAVIA Engine. (Shatter proof by the way – if I ever get one and decide to drop it, I’ll let you know the results – then cry)
The core of the Xperia S is a 1.5Ghz dual core processor, 32GB of storage space and is equipped with NFC (Near Field Communications), DLNA, HDMI and BRAVIA Sync.
It weighs only 144gms, is the size of my palm and uses Google Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) upgradable to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).
This baby (Xperia S) goes for RM1,899, available in Black and White and for a limited time, comes bundled with an accessories pack worth RM534.
So if you have no doubt that you want it, don’t wait!
All other models will be available in Q2, 2012.
[spoiler title=”Read Official Press Release for full details”]
Sony Mobile Communications debuts the Xperia™ NXT series in Malaysia
- Sony’s next generation smartphones includes the Xperia™ S, Xperia™ P and Xperia™ U
- The flagship Xperia™ S, the only smartphone with full Sony HD experience, available through selected operators 16 March, in stores everywhere 21 March
- Newly announced Xperia™ sola also previewed
15 March 2012, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia – Sony Mobile Communications today held the Malaysian showcase of its brand new Xperia NXT series of smartphones. The next generation smartphones from Sony, the series is made up of the flagship Xperia™ S, Xperia™ P and Xperia™ U which combine stand-out design and superior entertainment technology with the powerful performance consumers would expect from a Sony smartphone.
“We are excited and proud to introduce the highly anticipated Xperia™ NXT series to Malaysian consumers. Now that we are part of Sony Corporation, we are in a stronger position to bring connected entertainment experiences to consumers worldwide, and to bring these experiences to market even faster,” said Ola Lilja Molén, Sony Mobile Communications Head of South East Asia Markets.
The flagship Xperia™ S will be in stores nationwide starting 21 March. In addition, Maxis, DiGi, Celcom and UMobile will also be offering packages for the Xperia™ S to consumers. This is the first time Sony Mobile Communications is partnering with all four operators, and it’s also the company’s first such collaboration since becoming part of Sony Corporation. Consumers can learn more about the offerings by contacting the respective operators.
Guests at the launch were also treated to a preview of the Xperia™ sola, announced just two days ago which features Sony’s exclusive floating touch™ navigation technology that allows consumers to surf the web without actually having to touch the screen.
“Only Sony can bring together electronics, networked services, connected devices and content, and the Xperia™ smartphone is the key to this entertainment experience. Incorporating the best of Sony technology and premium entertainment, the Xperia™ smartphones showcased today offer the ultimate connected experience to consumers, allowing them to enjoy and share content on whichever screen best suits them, whether it’s their smartphone, TV, laptop or tablet,” added Molén.
Xperia™ NXT series – a connected entertainment experience with iconic design and enhanced UI
The Xperia™S, Xperia™ P and Xperia™ U belong to the Xperia™ NXT series which features an iconic design including the “transparent element” encircling the base of the phone and illuminating when receiving calls, texts and notifications.
The new User Interface (UI) follows the same design principles – offering rich applications and content with a simple and clean look. A new album, video player and music player will deliver compelling entertainment experiences and the new UI design also allows consumers to access their favourite application direct from the lock-screen.
Xperia™ S – Sony HD experience boasting a brilliant screen for superior viewing
The Xperia™ S delivers a stunning viewing experience with a razor sharp Sony HD display and a 12MP camera that takes pictures in just 1.5 seconds from standby.
Key Features for Xperia™ S
- 4.3 inch Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine with HD resolution screen (1280 x 720), as well as front (720p) and back (1080p) cameras for HD recording
- 1.5GHz dual-core processor for fast browsing and content download, which can be stored on the internal 32GB flash storage
- 12MP back camera with Sony Exmor R™ for mobile along with Fastest Capture to take shots in just 1.5 seconds directly from standby mode
- NFC (Near Field Communications) enabled to access growing range of NFC applications and services , including Xperia™ SmartTags
- With HD sharing through DLNA, HDMI and using BRAVIA Sync for controlling your Xperia™ S with your TV remote control when connected to the TV, Xperia™ S delivers a full HD experience on TV, as well as on other DLNA-enabled devices, such as laptops and tablets.
- Available in colours Black and White through selected operators starting 16 March and in stores nationwide starting 21 March. Recommended Retail Price: RM1,899. Comes bundled with accessories worth RM534 for a limited time only.
Xperia™ P – ultra-bright viewing experience
With a full aluminium unibody design, Xperia™ P debuts WhiteMagic™ display technology from Sony for the first time on a smartphone. WhiteMagic technology delivers the brightest viewing experience; whether at the beach or on the ski slopes.
The new SmartDock, exclusively for Xperia™ P, offers simple connectivity to multiple screens, turning the smartphone into an entertainment hub for the living room.
Key features for Xperia™ P
- 4” Reality Display with powered by Mobile BRAVIA Engine
- WhiteMagic display technology for an ultra-bright and power efficient viewing experience
- 1 GHz dual-core processor for super fast performance with 16GB flash storage
- 8MP camera with unique fast capture, HD recording and Sony technology to capture 2D and 3D panoramic images
- Easy HDMI and DLNA connectivity to share content on any screen
- NFC (Near Field Communications) enabled to access a growing range of NFC applications and services , including Xperia™ SmartTags
- Available in a choice of silver, black and red, all with an aluminium unibody from Q2 2012
Xperia™ U – powerful Sony entertainment in a stylish and compact design
With xLoud™ and Sony 3D surround sound audio technology integrated into the music player, Xperia™ U offers consumers a crisp and loud sound experience as well as the capability to stream music from their Xperia™ U to wireless speakers with a touch using DLNA.
Consumers can also enjoy improved sound quality with the stylish new Smart Headset, which features SmartKey – a dedicated application launch key for favourite apps.
Key features for Xperia™ U
- 3.5” Reality Display powered by Mobile BRAVIA Engine
- 1 GHz dual-core processor for super fast performance
- 5MP camera with unique fast capture, HD recording and Sony technology to capture 2D and 3D panoramic images
- Crisp and loud listening with xLoud and 3D surround sound audio technology
- Available in a choice of white or black, with yellow or pink exchangeable caps for the base of the smartphone in the box from Q2 2012
Xperia™ sola – a floating touch of magic
Sony’s unique, exclusive technology, “floating touch” allows consumers navigate the web by hovering their finger above the screen so it acts like a moving curser, without actually having to touch the screen. Once the desired link is found it can be highlighted and a simple tap will load the page.
Floating touch will evolve with new user functionality and applications through software updates and engagement with developers.
Key features for Xperia™ sola
- Floating touch navigation for an easy web browsing experience
- NFC enabled and Xperia™ SmartTags in the box to enable quick app loading and easy content sharing
- 3.7” Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA Engine gives razor sharp clarity
- Powered by a 1GHz Dual Core Processor for super fast browsing
- xLOUD and 3D surround sound audio technology for crisp and loud listening
All phones are launched on Android platform 2.3 (Gingerbread) and will be upgraded to Android platform 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) during the second quarter of 2012.
Show Comments (1)
Comments are closed.