As expected, the flagship Galaxy S8 and S8+ devices pre-ordered via http://www.samsung.com/my are sold out, Samsung announced today. The pre-order for the much-anticipated devices ran from 11-13 April 2017. The device will officially hit the retail market nationwide on 5 May 2017.
I reached out to Samsung Malaysia to enquire about the number of devices pre-ordered and sold. The official numbers for devices pre-ordered through the official Samsung Experience Stores is 7,000 units. This does not include units sold through retailers and local telcos.
If you can recall, Samsung sold out its allocated 1,000 pre-order units for the Galaxy S7 edge as quick as you could spell “Galaxy.” Samsung subsequently extended the pre-order promotion to another 2,000 units.
It looks like there’s plenty of pent up demand for the S flagship, perhaps vacated by the ill-fated Note7. Regardless, this bodes good news for the Korean consumer electronics giant.
Of course, this sell-out is nothing compared to what’s transpired in its home country South Korea. Pre-orders for the Galaxy S8 hit 550,000 units in two days. That’s 2.75 times the Note7, and two times that of the Galaxy S7.
The Korea-only 6GB RAM + 128GB storage version was the most popular.
Analysts predict that thanks to the strong sales of the Galaxy S8, Samsung is expected to achieve a record profit in Q2 2017.
All about the Galaxy S8:
- Pre-order for Samsung Galaxy S8 in Malaysia to start 11 April
- Samsung unpacks Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ – Infinity Display, bezel-less design
- New Samsung Gear 360 boasts 4K resolution, compatible with iOS devices
- Samsung DeX is Microsoft Continuum for Android
- Samsung Galaxy S8 pre-orders start tomorrow, prices from USD720
- The Samsung Galaxy S8 is unpacking tonight, here’s what to expect