30 March 2020: It is quite apparent that COVID-19 has severely impacted businesses all around, especially the small independent establishments and hawkers who have less access to alternative means of support to ride out this difficult period. Today, we hope to support them with three measures:
- Grab Small-Biz Relief (GSR) programme
Our GSR programme aims to provide financial relief of up to RM3,000 to each GrabFood small-biz*, in the form of a rebate for every order. Since most of the commissions paid by restaurants are used to compensate our delivery-partners, this rebate structure will avoid any impact to our delivery-partners’ income.
- ‘Local Heroes’ Campaign
We are also launching a campaign to boost visibility and awareness for these restaurants across various digital channels. The campaign will begin on 1 April to hopefully generate more awareness for our small, independent restaurants.
- Zero commissions on all digital payments via
WhatsApp, Facebook or phone orders and voluntary self-pickups
With the movement control order, many restaurants’ regular diners have shifted towards digital channels. But with commissions required to cover delivery and other transaction costs, our merchants now face thinner margins.
So for the duration of the extended movement control order, we are offering two new, alternative channels to help our merchants serve this demand at 0% commission. Firstly, we will send a customised GrabPay link to each eligible merchant, so that they can receive direct payments via chat, free of charge, and for orders made via Whatsapp, Facebook or phone. Customers, in turn, will be able to earn GrabRewards points as well. Secondly, for GrabFood orders, we will waive all commissions if customers choose to pick up the food themselves.
With this, we hope to be able to lend some support to our local businesses. Just like our delivery-partners who put themselves out there every day to serve, our restaurateurs still strive each day to continue to feed us and their own families.
* Small, independent restaurants and hawkers include:
- Micro and Small enterprises
- Do not pay SST, as per MOF threshold, and
- Average monthly sales are less than RM30K on GrabFood.
* Attributed to Sean Goh, country head of Grab Malaysia
Other COVID-19 Updates:
- COVID-19 UPDATE 1: Grab Services Uninterrupted, Will Continue to Serve our Community
- COVID-19 UPDATE 2: Safeguarding Malaysia’s Livelihoods
- COVID-19 UPDATE 3: Protecting Our Partners’ Well-Being