Sony is rolling out Android 4.4 KitKat updates for some of its newer devices – the massive Xperia Z Ultra, outgoing flagship Xperia Z1 and the excellent Xperia Z1 Compact. Timing and availability may vary by market and carrier, but check your Settings menu to be sure.
Sony has built new “experiences” around KitKat in addition to performance tweaks and enhancements. Here are some notables as listed on Sony Mobile’s official blog:
- Google’s Android 4.4; KitKat as standard – bringing performance & UI optimisation.
- Tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings – now more intuitive and customisable (and pretty easy on the eye)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need.
- Sony PlayStation 4-like user interface – Same sleek launch animation and livewallpaper across the lock and home screens.
- Sony’s entire native app portfolio gets latest versions – bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, TrackID TV, Sony Select, Smart Social Camera.
- Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration – a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more!
- Unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles, and more to follow soon.
Coming soon is Android 4.4 KitKat for Xperia Z, Xperia ZL and Xperia Tablet Z and Xperia ZR, slated to surface from mid Q2 2014.
Owners of newer devices like the Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and Xperia M2 will be delighted to know that Sony will be making KitKat available for those, with bespoke feature sets to boot.
Show Comments (1)