Maxis has just unveiled #Hotlink, its latest groundbreaking prepaid plan that brings continuous free basic internet at no extra charge – the first and only prepaid plan of its kind in Malaysia. While Hotlink itself isn’t new, the new #Hotlink Plan introduced today brings uninterrupted, worry-free internet experience anytime, anywhere.
Officiating the launch today was Dushyan Vaithiyanathan, Maxis’ Head of Consumer Business who said, “In today’s mobile internet environment, constant connectivity is no longer a luxury but a necessity. With #Hotlink, what we are essentially offering is an ‘always connected’ experience. It is a simple, flexible plan that is relevant to the needs of our prepaid community.”
He continued, “This plan represents a new category of mobile internet usage, which eliminates the current high entry barrier since there are absolutely no pay-per-use charges. Therefore, we are extremely excited at the prospects of #Hotlink as it is an ideal product that is aimed at widening access to the internet.”
In a nutshell, here’s what the new #Hotlink offers:
- Free basic internet at 64Kbps – this covers apps like WhatsApp, Line, WeChat, Facebook, Twitter, Google as well as non-data intensive website.
- Low flat rates of 12 sen per 30 seconds for voice calls and 7 sen per SMS to ALL networks
- Optional high speed internet for RM1 per day (1GB per month for RM30) with speeds of up to 42Mbps (2G/3G/HSPA+)
- Up to 8% free airtime once every 2 months, based on customer’s cumulative top-up amounts
- Other rewards with the new Hotlink Rewards Program
- Lowest IDD rates with IDD132 to Top 10 countries
All these at just RM8.80 for the Starter Pack that includes RM5 preloaded airtime. #Hotlink gives you a 5-day active period upon activation and an additional 50-day de-active period.
#Hotlink’s Mobile Internet Passes give users flexible Daily, Weekly 100MB, Monthly 350MB/1G plans. To subscribe, dial *100#, go to “RM1/day Internet Pass”. Alternatively, you may also dial *100#, go to ‘Internet and Settings’, and then to ‘Mobile Internet’.
To get the new #Hotlink Plan, customers will need to visit the nearest Hotlink Dealer or Maxis Centre. If you’re currently already a Hotlink customer and wish to upgrade to the new #Hotlink plan, you can dial *108*25# from your mobile phone. More information at www.hotlink.com.my.
The #Hotlink ‘reboot’ meets demands of today’s ‘always on, always connected’ lifestyle while also bringing down the entry barrier for a mobile internet service, making it highly affordable to the mass. While you may argue that 64Kbps is paltry by today’s standards, the speed is sufficient for web chats, social networking and basic internet browsing. We heard, on record, that we may also be able to run location-based apps like the popular social navigation app Waze. The idea is compelling as there will not be any data quota penalty when the app is being used. Seriously, who doesn’t want free internet access?
For more power hungry users, simply subscribe to the flexible Mobile Internet Passes and get turbocharged internet access at unthrottled speeds of up to 42Mbps. At the moment, 4G LTE on prepaid is not available, but may be available in the future, as explained by Dushyan.
We will be putting the new #Hotlink plan to the test. Stay tuned for updates.
Latest posts by Vernon Chan (see all)
- Lenovo rolls out new entertainment notebooks and AIOs - August 30, 2014
- Maxis introduces “Malaysian Family” greeting cards to spread Merdeka cheer - August 30, 2014
- Wiyo international Pocket Wi-Fi rental now in Malaysia - August 28, 2014