Apple‘s current pursuit for killing off anything Google in iOS has resulted in the omission of YouTube and Google Maps in its recently released iOS 6. Google has quickly made the official YouTube app for iPhone and iPod touch available on the iTunes App Store.
The new app, built from ground-up by YouTube engineers, has exclusive Malaysian content, with support for Bahasa Malaysia. The new app brings with it tens of thousands more video content, new YouTube channel guide and also new search tools that give suggestions while you type. The new app also makes it super easy to share your favourite videos on Google+, Facebook, text message as well as Twitter and email.
The UI/UX is certainly an improvement over the bundled iOS version previously and definitely many steps ahead of the mobile web version.
Google is also working on an iPad-optimised version, although the current version is also supported on the iPad.
So, go download now!
[spoiler title="Read official press release"]
Introducing a new YouTube app for your iPhone
Kuala Lumpur, September 11, 2012 — For all you diehard YouTube fans out there who can’t get enough YouTube on your mobile, we’ve got some great news: starting today, you can now download the official YouTube app for iPhone and iPod Touch from the iTunes App Store, bringing you more videos to watch and more ways to share with the people you love.
The new app is available for Malaysian users with support for Bahasa Malaysia, and unlocks tens of thousands of official music videos, as well as bringing lots of new features to improve finding and sharing awesome videos and channels. It’s a new app built by YouTube engineers, to give our iPhone and iPod Touch users the best mobile experience.
Here’s what you’ll find in the new app:
- Tens of thousands more videos: Watch official music videos like Taylor Swift’s latest hit.
- New YouTube channel guide: Swipe your finger from the left edge of the screen to reveal a guide with your subscribed channels on YouTube, giving you instant access to everything from Astro Gempak to YOMYOMF.
- Find awesome videos faster: Get to videos like “Gangnam Style” faster with new search tools that give suggestions while you type, and let you sort through videos or channels. Flip through related videos, comments and more info, all while watching a video.
- More ways to share with the people you love: Share that incredible video you found on YouTube on Google+, Facebook or text message in the app, as well as from Twitter and email.
You can use the app on your iPad too, and the team is hard at work building a made-for-iPad experience in the coming months.
There’s even more to explore with the new YouTube app for iPhone, available for download from the iTunes App Store today. You’ve already shown us you love YouTube on mobile—to the tune of 1 billion mobile views a day—so we can’t wait to see what you think about this new experience.
Latest posts by vernieman (see all)
- WD Partners SanDisk To Create Solid State Hybrid Drives - June 15, 2013
- ASUS Introduces the ASUS U38DT Ultraportable Notebook for Business - June 15, 2013
- Logitech Renews Commitment to PC Gaming, Introduces New Lineup of Input Devices - June 15, 2013